10 ways to achieve inner balance
Inner balance is not always easy. In a hectic everyday life, it often seems impossible. The following 10 possibilities offer you ways of finding your personal path to inner balance. Whichever option you take, the following applies: mobile phone in flight mode, computer switched off and, if possible, no external stimuli.
1. A walk in nature can work wonders. Take time every day or at least several times a week to rest in the forest, in the garden or in the park, to walk, lie down or sit down and listen to the sounds.
2. Breathing exercises calm the nervous system. Breathe in and out deeply at frequent points throughout the day. Breathe deeply into your lower abdomen. One good breathing exercise is the following: count to 5 when inhaling, pause for a while (if you want, you can count to 5 here), and then count to 5 again when exhaling, and take a short pause again for breath (or count to 5). Do this exercise for at least 10 breaths.
3. Balance can also be supported by fine dining. Cook something good and enjoy the food to the fullest, with all your senses. Take your time while eating, and treat yourself to this little break.
4. Yoga exercises can help calm your body and mind and bring them back into harmony. Whether at yoga classes, alone at home or with video instructions – yoga is easy to try out, even for beginners.
5. Meditation can help you look inside from the outside. Sit in a position where you feel comfortable. Concentrate on your breath and focus your attention more and more on the inside. Let your thoughts pass like clouds in the sky and watch your mind calm down over time.
6. The feeling of gratitude is very important for inner balance. Get a notebook and take the time every night to write down the things you are thankful for. Things that are in your life, that you have experienced or that happened during the day. These can be small moments, like the sun's rays on your face, or the pleasurable way some chocolate melted in your mouth. Write down at least three things that you are grateful for.
7. Progressive muscle relaxation is a technique to transition from a tense body state to a relaxed state. You can find various instructions on the Internet. Choose one that suits you, one which you want to listen to, and practise the exercise several times a week.
8. Do you like to write? Perhaps writing a diary is a way for you to achieve inner peace and balance. Buy a nice diary and take the time in the morning before work to listen to yourself and ask about your own health. Diary writing can also be a wonderful support if you notice that a situation or topic does not want to let you go. Write down everything that concerns you. Write down your worries, thoughts and emotions and get them off your chest, so to speak. This can be very liberating.
9. Find a job that suits you to bring your body, mind and soul into harmony. Choose an activity that you enjoy, which you can easily delve into, and indulge in that activity several times a week. This can be arts and crafts, sewing, knitting, gardening, drawing, or anything else. This is food for your soul and can help you be more balanced.
10. Treat yourself to a soothing full bath. Choose a fragrance that suits your mood, light candles if you like, and enjoy the pleasant warmth, peace and time for yourself. Try not to read a book or do any other activity – let the thoughts that come up pass by like clouds in the sky. If you don't have a bathtub at home, maybe you have the option to treat yourself to a spa visit. Bear in mind what is possible for you and listen carefully to yourself.
When it comes to topics that are challenging for you, contacting someone can help. Talking about your issues with a person you trust or with a specialist can help you find the right path for you in that matter. Solving blockages or conflicts can help to achieve inner balance.